Protection Orders


You may then contact us at 615.530.5719 or contact us by any of the means listed on the Contact Us page once the immediate danger has passed.

Orders of Protection

An Order of Protection is a court order that puts one or more people who have been physically aggressive and/or has threatened you on notice that if they do so again, they can be immediately arrested. You do not need an attorney to obtain an Order of Protection. You only need to contact the Domestic Violence Program in your area or the local police. They will assist you in filling out a petition asking that an Order of Protection be issued. The petition will be taken to the judge and, if granted, the other person/people will have to pay the cost (usually less than $200). If you drop the matter then you will have to pay the costs.

If an Order of Protection is signed by the judge you will be given a time to return to court for a hearing and the person to whom the Order of Protection is directed will be notified by the Sheriff's Office to leave you alone and to appear at the hearing. At the hearing you will both present your side and the judge will determine if the Order of Protection will remain in force. You are not required to have an attorney present for the hearing even if the other person has one.

Orders of Protection can be a useful tool in keeping someone who has been abusive to you or your children in the past from bothering you in the future. Knowing they are subject to immediate arrest is often enough to keep them away from you. However, if they do come around and in anyway violate the Order of Protection you need to call the police and have them arrested.

We at the Tull & Marshall, An Association of Attorneys understand this process can be very disturbing and unfamiliar to you. If you have been the subject of past threats or violent acts and want help in obtaining an order of protection please contact us at 615.530.5719 or contact us by any of the means listed on the Contact Us page. We will assist you at any stage of the process from getting the order to attending the hearing with you.